Hearts of Roses

Hearts of Roses

Wednesday 6 August 2014

10 Ways To Get Rejected By Imperial College London

IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON

Modern architecture, lovely.

Campus is actually really small but it has a tempered pool, cool?

No.10 in the WORLD.
 
  • 3rd in Europe and 10th in the world overall
  • 4th in Europe and 9th in the world for engineering and technology
  • 3rd in Europe and 10th in the world for life sciences
  • 4th in Europe and 13th in the world for physical sciences
  • 3rd in Europe and 4th in the world for clinical, pre-clinical and health

(Based on TIMES 2014)

ICL is one of the most prestigious universities in the world. 
Its reputation does come with a price.

In order to score a place, interviews are required. (or other entry tests depending on course)
I was selected for an interview for entry into Chemical Engineering (MEng) 2014.

Note: To be selected for the interview, a forecast result/actual result is needed beforehand. Whether you have a chance to enter the uni depends foremost on your result and personal statement. They sure as hell will not entertain you unless they see potential. 

I will discuss about my experience as I go on.

Here are some first-hand tips on how to fail.

1. LACK OF CONFIDENCE
Come on, it's ICL we're talking about. Oxbridge is of course, much tougher to land a place however, it only offers Engineering and major in Chemical which wasn't what I was looking for. Seats are limited and the number of applicants this year is astoundingly high. A potato like me was lucky to score a chance but my luck definitely stopped here.

2. LACK OF MOTIVATION
I had other offers in my hand and a university in my mind. I was so sure I was going to take up the other offer already. So, this kinda made me feel meh about trying to get a seat at ICL. 

3. STUTTER
I was arranged to be present at Trader's Hotel for the interview with the Professor who is well known for his work in catalysts. Speaking in English had been a habit of mine ever since I got into Taylor's but this was a whole new level. Plus, my butterflies weren't helping either. I stuttered badly when I was conversing with the white man. I felt like a skinned potato.

4. DON'T BOTHER TO PREPARE
Since I had this mindset of attending other university and the thought that I will never ever score a place, I did not bother to prepare. I am still not sure whether this decision is sensible (it's not) but hey, I am happy in my place now. However, preparation before interview is much needed. Revise your previous studies if you do not want to end up like me. Dumbfounded. I apologised profusely to the Professor about how I did not prepare ever since I graduated (which was about 5months). He agreed and said I was rusty.

5. FORGET EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE STUDIED
Because that 5 months of enjoying life is too sweet. I am the type of person that needs revising to catch up on my studies. Even for Maths, I need to wiggle my pen to remember what I can do. It took me a LONG time to answer the math questions he laid out for me and I needed his guidance to push me to get the answer. Don't even get me started on the Chemistry and Physics questions because I was completely struck by panic. I couldn't make out what was the question about. He needed to repeat over and over again until the point he gave up an moved on. Well, fuck preparation.


do math.


6. ASK DUMB QUESTIONS
Ahh, this is also another consequence of not revising. You will end up asking dumb questions that are simple and based on logic. I was so embarrassed. What is more shameful was, I couldn't answer my own piece of work. Guys, make sure you know your PS in and out THOROUGHLY.

7. THINK BIG. DO NOTHING.
He thought my Personal Statement was interesting and questioned me on some parts. I told him my ambitions and the hardship that got me here today. I sensed skepticism in his tone when he said, " Wow, that is something big to achieve. You have character." Act smart and talk about the things you wanna achieve. Share some opinions that you clearly have googled the day before.
 
8. GET NERVOUS.
I was shivering and stuttering to the point he noticed it and asked me to relax. Panicking is fun, yay. Because even though he was looking down at his laptop and typing key points in your speech, he was ALL EARS, just waiting for you to mess up.

9. BE SASSY.
Snap back at him! Counter his arguments with stupid reasons. He smiled it off awkwardly thinking I had problemsssssss.

10. NOT GIVING A FUCK.
Get it or not.... Not giving a fuck works the best. Because the end of the day, I'd choose other university. 
It is in my opinion that studying at ICL is stressful and expensive. (After many research and surveys)

Of course, I was rejected. 
It felt painful at first but then it made deciding much easier. 
I am very happy with my choice now. I thought it'd be nice to share this so this can be an advice to those who want to enter. Don't be me.

The whole experience was pretty overwhelming. I did not expect it to be quite a nice chat/assessment. 
Questions asked are related to why you want to take up the course at the specific uni/ why you choose the uni/ what makes you interested/ your studies background/assessment on basic engineering/personal statement etc. The interview took me 45minutes (which was 15mins longer than average because I took too much time on my shitty assessment.) I think the only good thing was that I was pretty cheeky and bubbly. 



The point of me going to a university is to obtain the best of me, not the best university.
Consider well in your uni application and good luck.

6 comments:

  1. Hi. I am interested in applying Chemical Engineering in Imperial College London. Do you mind to write a post of how you got the interview? :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As mentioned above, the two things they will look at are your personal statement and your results. I spent three months drafting my PS then it was revised by several lecturers. Remember that your PS must be original, plagiarism will forfeit your application. Make sure you get a forecast/actual result that meets the entry requirement of the course too. I hope this info helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! That was helpful! Can I know whether there's any test that needs to be done (like LNAT for law) to get the interview? Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. For chemical engineering, no admission test is required. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. 4A*
      The grades will get you an interview but not necessarily the entry

      Delete