Hearts of Roses

Hearts of Roses

Thursday 14 August 2014

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Plot Twists, Sick Fancies and Money Woes.

I have finally finished 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens in a week.
Needless to say, that is probably the last classic book I'd read in 3years.

Dear lord, it was torture. I struggled to read every word and at some point, I gave up on referring to the dictionary and just guessed the meaning as the story went on. I managed to grasp the plot, surprisingly. I knew 16 year-old me back then, wouldn't. So, I am pretty proud that I was able to pick this up after 3 years of neglect for books as I have lost interest in fiction or books, to be honest.

I selected this book as my read thanks to South Park's 'Pip' episode. It seemed interesting as it focuses on the unorthodox love story between Pip and Estella (her name is beautiful, I want my kids to have hipster Victorian names) but hoala! The story is actually much more than that. Of course, South Park twisted the whole ending... But it was good. It caught my eye and I was determined to read on no matter how much pain and bore it put me in.

I wouldn't narrate the story here but here is a brief summary composed by yours truly.

Pip was poor orphan boy raised by a lunatic sister and her husband, Joe Gargery. The story kicked off with Pip finding a convict who was on the loose and was intimidated to help the escapee to obtain food and some appliances (a file). Officers eventually found the convict and another man mauling each other and arested them. The convict did not accuse Pip for being part of the scheme.

You see, Pip and his family lived a common, coarse life in rural parts of England. He was given the chance to play at the Satis House, occupied by the rich and famous Miss Havisham. In hopes of getting a fortune, he went but to his dismay, he was treated cruelly and coldly. Miss Havisham was sad old lady, clad in yellow-stained wedding dress and sat in a room of rotten feast with all the clocks stopped at 20minutes to nine. He met the love of his life, Estella, adopted by Miss Havisham. Estella was raised to break men's heart with her cold indifference towards feelings and wickedly beautiful looks. Miss Havisham was left at the altar by a man named Compeyson.

HOLD THE FUCK UP. THIS IS TOO LONG. I AM NARRATING 520PAGES WHAT THE FUCK!

Anyway,
Pip was sent to London to learn the ways to become a gentleman by a secret benefactor who was actually the convict whom he helped. The convict named Magwitch turned out to be Estella's father and due to some scandal, he lost custody of Estella and she was presented to Miss Havisham when she was just 2 years old. Estella admitted that she had treated Pip differently as she tried not to lure him into a heartbreak but alas, she married a wicked man named Drummle who studied with Pip.

Pip was grown to be unsuccessful and content as he met some, not very great expectations. He owed a lot of debt, fell sick, discovered the history of Estella, went overseas for business with his dear companion and best friend, Herbertl etc.

In the last chapter,
Estella, now widowed, met Pip in the remains of Satis House. It was fate that brought them together as they set foot in the compound for the first time in decades. They left, hand-in-hand, never to be parted again.

I MISSED OUT A LOT OF THE KEY PLOT HERE BUT FUCK IT. IT'S TOO LONG.

For a more detailed insight, I find this website very helpful. I compared with my own understanding and the plot given after reading the book and found that yeah, it made sense.

Great Expectations Plot


Here comes the main thing. My thoughts to it.

I would say there are three themes to the story.

LOVE
Stupid love. I don't know why Pip feeds on pain for love. Estella is a bitch and he knows that.

MONEY
It's all about the fucking money. Because if you have money, you can treat people like peasants. (in the old England times)

PRIDE
Scoundrel, fools. To think that you are one level above the rest is haughty and despicable.
Fucking Pip just looks down on his village because he is a gentleman, MOTHAFUCKA

I highlighted 4 parts of the book. They meant something to me.




At those times I would get up and look out at the door; for our kitchen door opened at once upon the night, and stood open on summer evenings to air the room. The very stars to which I then raised my eyes, I am afraid I took to be but poor and humble stars for glittering on the rustic objects among which I had passed my life.

That's how I felt as I am about to depart this country.

Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.

Hey, crying is one of the best forms of expression!

Life is made of ever so many partings welded together, as I may say, and one man's a blacksmith, and one's a whitesmith, and one's a goldsmith, and one's a coppersmith. Diwisions among such must come, and must be met as they come.

Another parting quote.

I stole her heart away, and put ice in its place. Better to have left her a natural heart, even to be bruised or broken.

Wound me because I rather feel something than nothing at all.


Quite a good read. Something that occupied my mind and drifts me off to fantasy.


Who else thought watching someone's heartbreak is a sick fancy? HAHAHAA

No comments:

Post a Comment